Forum Topic

TPC HeadFi Group (No Trading, mention of Seller/Shop Name)

• . It can only run three hours on battery power when in fact the design spec for its 4-cell battery is between four and five hours of mobile usage.

I am of the opinion that battery runtime figures stated by manufacturers are rather optimistic. Those tests are usually done with a bare Windows install, and as such have lower CPU and RAM usage compared to real-world usage.
    With background tasks like a virus scanner or even Windows Update, coupled with software that can utilize all processor cores (i.e. Chrome browser), battery life is expectedly shorter than what the manufacturer claims.

Unless, of course, the issue is reduction of the battery's capacity. Lenovo's Power Manager software can show the battery's designed capacity and its actual capacity (as of the last full charge).
  • One thing also worth mentioning is the battery age or should we call it as "shelf life". Batteries loses their effectiveness to hold charge once they are past a certain "shelf life".

Yup, and as a corollary to this even if you don't use the Li-ion battery at all (e.g. a laptop kept on AC power only) the battery will degrade naturally. Part of it is due to heat, but also because batteries expire. Thus in the case of a laptop, if you're gonna use it as a desktop 99% of the time you should consider taking out the battery and putting it in the refrigerator. There's even an optimal charge state for battery storage, I think it's around 60%, before putting them in the ref.

-- edited by Peorth on Aug 31 2016, 12:07 AM
  • He is good. Really, really good.

• @Peorth @riddler @awakeruze

Thanks a lot for the additional insights on battery charge/discharge/performance!

Yep, I've read before about putting a li-ion battery pack in the freezer. I just don't have the balls to do it as I don't have easy access to spare thinkpad laptop batteries if sh*t hits the fan. And speaking of lenovo's power management tool, i think the latest software versions don't allow you to change the charging thresholds (before, i usually set it to charge if the battery hits below 80% and stop charging at 95%); instead, it's the software automatically determining the charging thresholds. It's one of the reasons why I can't let go of my ThinkPad X230 even if it's a bit long in the tooth and why i am thinking of replacing it in favor of a retina mbp (on top of the legendary ThinkPad toughness). Hahaha :3

Again, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts! Dami naming natutunan with these exchange of ideas. :D
  • @novicez @majingotan

Ano ba marecommend niyong specific model na pang small room(30+sqm) gagamitin ko siya for gaming, movie tska music? San din ako pde maghanap para wala sa egghead eh?
  • @Jastine06

Try mo bro sa Spectrum Glorietta. They specialize in speakers. :)
  • ^nde ba spectra? I had my re600 jack replaced there ????
  • ^
    Gutom siguro si sir Jai nung nagreply.. gusto mag buffet :D
  • @Blodiab @aRTie

Ay sorry mga paps, Spectra. My bad. Oo gutom ako nung ni-post ko yung reply na yun. Hahahahahaha :3

Also asked them to make a mini-to-mini IC after my Whiplash TWAG IC went kaput. :)

• lumobo battery ng fiio x1 ko D: at di ko mabuksan dahil yung pinakamaliit na torx ko... ay malaki padin lol...

...so im back with my "ancient" portable setup haha

• ^ Long time no see sa thread ah. Hehe
  • @ Dyaems

How long have you had your Fiio X1? Hopefully hindi lolobo yung battery ng Mojo within 5 years since that would be a huge disappointment to me.
  • @ majingotan

mga 1.5 years siguro

@ ronnel098

graduate nako dito e haha sayang pera ko dito at sana sa iba ko na lang winaldas xD
  • ^ Hahaha. Sa mech keys na lang kita madalas nakikita at mATX.
  • Mech keys paalis na din ako dun, nakuha ko na ang gusto kong layout sa cherry mx eh. sa ITX ako naka tambay ngayon haha
  • Hopefully hindi lolobo yung battery ng Mojo within 5 years since that would be a huge disappointment to me.

5 years is already a long time to expect to a lithium ion/poly battery to last and still have significant capacity. As a simple example, laptop batteries can last that long but by that time has already lost a good chunk of capacity or might even be practically dead. It really depends on how much you use the battery and how much heat it's exposed to.
  • @ Peorth

That's true. You can't escape heat with Mojo unfortunately. You can mod it to have a finned heatsink though hehe.
  • LP Stack!

LP Duo in action!

:3

-- edited by novicez on Sep 03 2016, 10:12 PM
  • ^ Congrats Sir Novicez!

Still Burning in? Can't wait for your initial impressions!
  • @majingotan

I was listening to several TOTL headphones with it @egghead with V181 as amp. My initial impressions were: SOUNDSTAGE. Seriously, Ether + soundtage = ENDGAME. HD800S..... well...... better hide your wallet.

....I don't wanna say this.... but the DAC RS06 made the mojo sound like a cheap DAC.... and that's while auditioning the RS06 without any burn in....

...so yeah.... probably end game for me. (",)b

I'll give this DAC a full week or two before writing a formal review.
  • @ novicez

Thanks for early impressions sir! It's a desktop DAC which should give a better price to performance than a portable DAC. The only thing na hindi ako satisfied sa Mojo ay hindi very wide ang soundstage after being spoiled by Bifrost Multibit's soundstage, but imaging is still superb though.

Thanks for the impression sir! Endgame DAC na talaga iyan, endgame HP na lang hehe.
  • @majingotan

Yea, I'm still torn between the HD800S and the Ether/Flow. HD800S has that slight sheen that I really really like (Akin to Sabre DAC sound sig, but more refined) without sounding too harsh unlike the HD800 while the Ether basically retains the HD600's tonal characteristics with better low-end and soundstage(just a tiny bit though).
  • ^

Get both then you get the best of both worlds!
  • Good morning mga sir! Anyone here own or used to own a px 100-ii? Talaga bang medyo kulang yung high nya? Parang ngongo kasi yung sound out of the box.

TIA!
  • @majingotan

...sponsor me. :3 I don't think I have yet reached that level of craziness haha. We'll see if studio monitors will be enough to satisfy my cravings for fidelity, If not, then probably just one more TOTL can and I'll be done.

-- edited by novicez on Sep 04 2016, 11:00 AM
  • ^ novicez

I've spend 3 years worth of my money savings for my audio setup already hehe. My studio monitors without the need for subwoofer sound plenty good for me and I prefer watching movies with it than headphones since it goes deep enough (35 Hz) that I can feel it in my chest hehe. I can still hear 30 hz with it, but is too rolled off already.

Then again, if you've been poisoned with TOTL setups already, mid-fi studio monitors won't satisfy your sound quality cravings hehe.
  • @majingotan

I dunno, I like the ether and HD800S, but not to the point that I would be salivating when I see one haha. It will probably depend if Grey Audio Video decides to actually sell Airmotiv AMS-6S here in the Philippines, If I can't get my hands on them till Q1 next year, then I'll prolly divert those funds to an HD800S or Ether/Flow.
  • There are no wrong choices for you, though I would lean towards the Studio Monitors first IMO. You'll be surprised how amazing they sound once fed with an excellent sounding DAC and preamp even without room treatment. Hopefully they can sell and delivered to you. Can't you get a price quote directly from Emotiva site?
  • @majingotan

Already did, but they told me that I should buy from their local distro instead.... which, on the other hand, will be stocking them some time Q4 2016(which is also tentative....not sure if they have any plans of selling them except just poweramps and preamps). This is one of the problems when one distributor handles multiple competing brands that they always consider whether or not products from their suppliers cannibalize each others' sales.