Forum Topic

Intel Core i3 / Core i5 / Core i7 Thread (Skylake - 100 series chipset - LGA 1151)

• @bits

oo nga sir, yung msi brand ata yun eh.

@sleepy

oo nga sir meron din ako nabasa nyan kagabi eh. na pwede i-oc ang i7-6700 non-k. pero hindi ko nabasa kung paano nila na oc. eh kung ganun din ano na ang major differences ng Core i7-6700k sa non-k? haha
  • @brnt
    oo nga sir meron din ako nabasa nyan kagabi eh. na pwede i-oc ang i7-6700 non-k. pero hindi ko nabasa kung paano nila na oc. eh kung ganun din ano na ang major differences ng Core i7-6700k sa non-k? haha

Nag research ako konti hehe... ito yung nakita ko na differences between the two processors:

Core i7-6700K
    - Unlocked Multiplier
    - 91W TDP
    - Base frequency: 4.0GHz
    - Max Turbo frequency with 1,2,3,4 cores: (4.2GHz, 4.0GHz, 4.0GHz, 4.0GHz)
    - With TSX Extensions
    - Intel HD 530 Graphics

Core i7-6700
    - Locked Multiplier
    - 65W TDP
    - Base frequency: 3.4GHz
    - Max Turbo frequency with 1,2,3,4 cores: (4.0GHz, 4.0GHz, 3.8GHz, 3.8GHz) >> not sure
    - No TSX Extensions
    - Intel HD 530 Graphics >> not sure

Wala naman major differences sa dalawa. Pero mas mataas ang TDP ng Core i7-6700K so mas malakas ang power consumption and possibly mas kaya niya ang higher overclock speeds. Hindi ko rin sure kung ano yung built-in GPU ng Core i7-6700 but most likely same lang as Core i7-6700K.

Regarding BCLK overclocking...

Assuming totally locked ang multiplier ng Core i7-6700 and yung working multipliers na available sayo is 34x and below, madami parin possible na overclock speeds. For example using common BCLK values:

BCLK of 133.33 MHz x 34 multiplier = 4533.22 MHz or 4.5GHz overclock
    BCLK of 133.33 MHz x 33 multiplier = 4399.89 MHz or 4.4GHz overclock
    BCLK of 166.67 MHz x 27 multiplier = 4500.09 MHz or 4.5GHz overclock
    BCLK of 200.00 MHz x 24 multiplier = 4400.00 MHz or 4.4GHz overclock

Mag de-depend nalang kung ang memory gagamitin mo is DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 and kung ano yung memory ratios na available sa motherboard.

Sa nababasa ko parang 4.6GHz ~ 4.7GHz ang average overclock ng Core i7-6700K. So siguro kung gagamit ka ng close to stock voltages (1.300 ~ 1.325v) baka stable na ang 4.4GHz or 4.5GHz overclock sa Core i7-6700.

Hintay nalang tayo ng reviews kung anong overclocks ang possible sa non-K processors. Baka yung Core i3 models pwede narin i-overclock through BCLK overclocking :-)
  • Tom\'s Hardware pa lang ang sumubok ng BCLK overclocking sa Core i7 6700K

Di nila masyado na-test, 115 MHz x 37 lang ang ginawa nila.

Sana nga kaya yang 133 MHz x 34 sa locked multiplier CPU kasi magiging great value for the money yung Core i3 at non-K Core i5

<click here for link>
  • Actually with Skylake we\'re back to old-school overclocking but with the benefit of both unlocked BCLK and unlocked CPU multiplier (for K-series) :-)

Maximum BCLK on ASUS Z170-A using Core i5-6600K

Maximum BCLK on ASUS Z170-A using Core i7-6700K

From the Anandtech article:
    \"Previously, when the base frequency was adjusted (100 MHz to 120 MHz), this would push the PCIe frequency too far out of alignment resulting in a lack stability, so the decoupling ratios were there to realign the PCIe clock back to normal (so a ratio of 1.25 means a setting of 120 MHz on the CPU gave 120/125 = 96 MHz on the PCIe, which is more stable). What Skylake does is separate the clock domains altogether, so we get a full range of BCLK adjustments for the processor from 100 MHz to 200-300 MHz in 1 MHz increments. Some motherboard manufacturers have extra components on board to either boost that range to 650 MHz+, or add a finer BCLK adjustment system to allow for 0.0625 MHz steps instead.\"

These are the special BCLK chips that we will see on Z170 motherboards that allow a better range of BCLK adjustment:

ASUS PRO CLOCK <click here for link>
    Gigabyte TURBO B-CLOCK <click here for link>
    MSI OC Engine 2 <click here for link>
    ASRock Hyper BCLK Engine <click here for link>

So mas critical ngayon ang motherboard selection when planning an overclocked build with Skylake. We will have to allot more budget on the motherboard than usual but the benefit is we can save by getting a locked processor instead.

Potentially if this works for all locked processors, then it means Intel is fully supporting CPU overclocking and we can overclock even Skylake Pentiums and Core i3 processors.
  • Tom\'s Hardware pa lang ang sumubok ng BCLK overclocking sa Core i7 6700K

I think these guys were one of first to focus on the new BCLK capabilities of Z170 motherboards. They broke the NDA by posting 4 minutes too early :-P

Overclock3D.net - Intel Skylake i5 6600K & i7 6700K 1151 Z170 Review
    <click here for link>
  • ASUS TUF Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1

<click here for link>

MoBo Pr0n...
  • ^
    bought the the z87 version of that for 12k just because it looks nice....
  • ^Those do look nice but are actually bad design. Too many pockets for dirt and trapped heat.
  • Post deleted #11483595
  • ^
    I think if you will use the motherboard mostly for gaming and overclocking Skylake, the Maximus VIII Gene is better. But I\'m sure you can save a lot by just going with the ASUS Z170M-PLUS or wait for the Micro-ATX variant of ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING :-)

Personally I\'m looking at the ASRock Z170 motherboards now, very bang-for-buck feature-wise... like a poor man\'s ASUS motherboard hehe! :-P
  • Post deleted #11483686
  • Gold plated ports and connectors don\'t tarnish or oxidize as easily maintaining better contact over time. That\'s all.
  • Creative design as expect on Asus
  • @yuelyk
    I see some of the high end mobo\'s use gold plated something for the ports. Do those things really matter when compared with the bang-for-the-buck ones?

Like what MrBungle mentioned gold plated ports don\'t tarnish or oxidize easily over time. So they are a \"nice-to-have\" but not that critical when choosing a motherboard :-)

Also when it comes to other parts like built-in sound card, lan guard, max memory bandwidth, etc.. are those useful or just marketing?

Some features are marketing fluff but others are important when choosing a motherboard. To give you an idea, when I\'m looking at Z170 motherboards these are the features I prioritize:

Must Have
    - 10-Phase power circuitry or better
    - Heatsinks on the VRM section
    - Built-in BCLK Chip
    - High-grade audio chipset like Realtek ALC1150
    - Ultra M.2 slot capable of 32GB/s

Nice to Have
    - Intel Gigabit LAN chipset
    - USB 3.1 Type-A / Type-C ports
    - Intel USB 3.1 controller (Alpine Ridge)
    - Matte black PCB or nice color scheme

Possible Marketing Fluff
    - I/O Armor or any form of motherboard \"Armor\"
    - Built-in Dehumidifier
    - Metal shielded PCIe slots
    - LED Trace path lighting
    - Multi-color LED lighting
    - Noise shielding / EMI shielding
    - Lag-free Killer networking
    - Any feature with the word \"Killer\"
    - \"Military Grade\" components

:-)

Edit: Corrected phase count and added to the Marketing Fluff list

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Aug 30 2015, 03:49 PM
  • Possible Marketing Fluff
    - I/O Armor or any form of motherboard \"Armor\"
    - Built-in Dehumidifier
    - Metal shielded PCIe slots
    - LED Trace path lighting
    - Multi-color LED lighting
    - Noise shielding / EMI shielding
    - Lag-free Killer networking
    - Any feature with the word \"Killer\"

:-)

To add:

Military-grade components :)
  • I/O Armor or any form of motherboard \"Armor\"

tawa lang ako dito. kung ano ano pang pa bigat nilagay sa MoBo.

kung pwede lang sa intel/amd rekta bumili ng MoBo ganun nlang bibilhin ko. para wala na ka ekekan hehe
  • Is there any good reviews of the 6600k or 6700k?
  • Is there any good reviews of the 6600k or 6700k?

Check the 1st post at page 1 of this thread

I put a compilation of links to various reviews for Intel Skylake

-- edited by bintsmok on Aug 30 2015, 10:22 AM
  • Post deleted #11483946
  • Currently what are the mobo\'s with the must-have features?

Search the Tipid PC Items For Sale section then check the specifications at the manufacturer\'s website

Do the feature specs tell if they have 8-phase power?

Read here
    <click here for link>
  • Hello. gusto ko lang sana magtanong kung okay ba itong skylake build na ito

Upgrading from

Intel i5 3470 3.2ghz
    Asus B75M DGS R2.0
    Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600mhz CL9

to

Intel core i5 6600k = P11,730
    http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

Gigabyte z170x - gaming 3 = P9,840
    (because of the Dual PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connectors , USB 3.1 WITH USB type-C, USB DAC UP (I\'m an audiophile, planning to attach my dac with this mobo) and upgradable OP-AMP
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5497#ov

Corsair Vengeance LXP 2X4GB = P4,200
    http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-lpx-8gb-2x4gb-ddr4-dram-2400mhz-c14-memory-kit-black-cmk8gx4m2a2400c14
  • Hello. gusto ko lang sana magtanong kung okay ba itong skylake build na ito

Upgrading from

Intel i5 3470 3.2ghz
    Asus B75M DGS R2.0
    Corsair Vengeance 4GB 1600mhz CL9

to

Intel core i5 6600k = P11,730
    http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

(because of the Dual PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 Connectors , USB 3.1 WITH USB type-C, USB DAC UP (I\'m an audiophile, planning to attach my dac with this mobo) and upgradable OP-AMP

Corsair Vengeance LXP 2X4GB = P4,200
    http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-lpx-8gb-2x4gb-ddr4-dram-2400mhz-c14-memory-kit-black-cmk8gx4m2a2400c14

Get a Core i7 6700K para pang-matagalan na

<click here for link>
  • @yuelyk
    Currently what are the mobo\'s with the must-have features?

Ah... take note that the must-have features I mentioned are just for my needs. If you are not overclocking, or you already have a good soundcard, or under a strict budget then they do not apply :-)

The best way to find out if a motherboard has the features you need is to read motherboard reviews or look at the specs of the motherboard on their website :-)

Do the feature specs tell if they have 8-phase power?

Some motherboard brands like ASUS and ASRock specify the number of phases on their website.

One rough way to estimate the number of power phases used by the motherboard, is by counting the \"chokes\" or those tiny cube like squares surrounding the CPU socket. You can tell by looking for a line of cubes with a group of solid capacitors beside them. They are often hidden under a heat-sink so you might have to look at detailed views of the motherboard socket to count them.

ASRock Z170 Extreme4 - 12 Power Phase Count

Take note that with Skylake motherboards we will see (again) more power phases added to the motherboard compared to Haswell. The main power inputs (or voltage rails) of the Skylake CPU are now handled by the motherboard, so a large part of CPU voltage regulation is controlled by the motherboard itself.

When counting power-phases on the motherboard take note that not all power phases go to the CPU core itself. There are four major input rails to the CPU for a Skylake motherboard:

4-phase >> VCCGT (Graphics core)
    1-phase >> VCCSA (System Agent)
    1-phase >> VCCIO (CPU IO)
    the rest >> VCC (VCore)

So if you are looking for a good Z170 motherboard to overclock a Skylake processor, go for motherboards with a large count of power-phases. So if you count 12 chokes or 12 power-phases on a motherboard it will be often allotted as 6+4+1+1 with 6-power phases allotted to VCore regulation. The more phases allotted for VCore then you can expect that the motherboard is more stable in supplying power to the CPU when overclocking :-)

So the military grade components are just non-sense :P (I kept thinking if those are actually made for war. Lol)

Well... not exactly. It is just the motherboard manufacturer\'s way of saying that they are using higher quality components on their motherboard. Whether that is believable or not is up to the buyer hehe! As long as there is no mention of the motherboard meeting any MIL-SPEC standards, then I don\'t think the motherboard can stand up to the rigors of a military environment :-)

To be fair... there are military grade PC\'s and laptops like the Dell Latitude E6420 XFR and Panasonic Toughbooks. Some are actually equipped with an outer ballistic armor shell that can actually stop a bullet :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Aug 30 2015, 04:15 PM
  • @jtalusan

Hi sir if you have an external USB DAC then no need to get a motherboard with expensive audio-chip as your DAC will most likely sound better and cleaner than the on-board DAC used by the motherboard. The built-in audio of the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 is good though for plugging headphones or powered PC speakers directly to the motherboard :-)

If you are overclocking the Core i5-6600K then I suggest getting the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 or Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 model instead :-)
  • Post deleted #11484032
  • @sleepygeepy.

thank you for your advice! :)
  • Intel Skylake-S Mainstream Desktop Processor Lineup Launching on 1st September
    <click here for link>

Core i7 6700 3.4 GHz / 4.0 GHz
    Core i5 6600 3.3 GHz / 3.9 GHz
    Core i5 6500 3.2 GHz / 3.6 GHz
    Core i5 6400 2.7 GHz / 3.3 GHz
    Core i3 6100
    Pentium G4400
  • such a beauty :)

-- edited by adio on Sep 01 2015, 06:59 PM
  • Ito naman has a very good review from eteknix <click here for link>

• @adio

Color matching videocard para sa Gigabyte GA-Z170X-G1 Gaming :-)