Forum Topic

The PC Audio Thread: Sound Cards, On-Board Audio, Speakers, Headsets: New Products and Reviews

• @majingotan

Wow nice. Yun lang pala. Sige meron siguro nito sa ACE hardware or true value.
  • Hi sir, look for the seller that sounds like "petshop38" I know they also carry Swans speakers. Yung Swans HiVi D1080 IV nila costs Php 8K according to their FB page. Kung medyo mahirap maghanap ng Swans, a good alternative is Edifier R2000DB. You might want to check it out.

@sleepygeepy

I cant the seller nor the FB page.

The Edifier R2000db serves an alternative but the pricing is the same if not comparable with D1080iv. I would go for the Swan because I already auditioned and i like it, but the price spike a bit. So, I am in the search of shop that sells it for a cheaper pricing than pc**b.

The Edifier1600tiii is my third option, kaso wala na akong mahanap.

-- edited by gaLj on Dec 30 2016, 12:26 PM
  • @gaLj

The shop name is t*chsh*p28 but rhymes with petshop38. Their FB page has lower pricing for the Swans HiVi D1080 IV at Php 8K.
  • The shop name is t*chsh*p28 but rhymes with petshop38. Their FB page has lower pricing for the Swans HiVi D1080 IV at Php 8K.

@sleepygeepy

I got it (too slow) haha. already msg them. I am waiting for their answer.
  • Saan kaya pwede magparepair ng headset.
  • anyone knows where i can buy vizio 4051 soundbar locally?
  • Anong recommended good bluetooth headset/headphone (on-ear) under 4k?
  • Mga boss,

Ask lang ako about soundbar. Baka may naka subok na ng Sembrandt 500. Iniisip ko kasi kung medyo ka match na nya si JBL SB250? O mag JBL SB250 na ako diretso. Baka meron pa po kayong ibang recommended na soundbar.

O kaya 2.0/2.1 na may bluetooth functionality rin po para ma pair yong mga phones.

Thanks!
  • guys pa suggest naman ng bang for the bucks the hadset na compatible sa pc and can answer call sa android devices.

thanks,
  • Mga sir

San kaya nakakabil neto:

Speaker adapter
  • Mga boss ano best 2.1 speakers na makukuha ko for my PC for 1k-1.5k? Thanks in advance!
  • Question po about Digital Optical Audio Out. I have a soundbar na may Digital Optical Audio Out na nakakabit sa TV. Gusto ko sana yung Bluray player ko may sarili direct connection sa Soundbar ko using Digital Optical Audio Out kaso isa lang ang connection ng Digital Optical Audio Out sa soundbar. Wala din naman headphone out ang Bluray player ko to connect sa soundbar or bluetooth. Ano po dapat ko bilin na splitter?

Salamat.
  • Kabit mo HDMI sa TV tapos configure mo na audio out sa soundbar. Lahat ng tunog pupunta sa sound bar
  • hello po. saan po nakaakbili ng razer gaming headset? online po sana. tga probinsya kse ako wala dito sa amin. need help po please
  • Quick question: do you really need a DAC for your pc even if I don't hear any crackling/jitter sound even if I crank up the volume?
    My speakers are AudioEngine A5+ which connect to the motherboard Asus Z97-A. Btw, I don't have plans on using a headphone.

Will I hear a sonic difference if I put one even to an untrained ears?

-- edited by RuYz on Feb 02 2017, 10:04 AM
  • @RuYz

If you are satisfied with the sound of the speakers over the motherboard's audio outputs then no need to buy a dedicated DAC.

A dedicated DAC helps when you are playing high quality audio files with high bitrates. However playing high bitrate music can become pointless if the speakers cannot reproduce the same high level of detail, and you will not be able to hear the difference over regular bitrate audio files. It's akin to watching a BluRay movie over a CRT TV. The quality is good but you won't notice the difference watching the same movie on DVD.

But having said the above, there might be a slight benefit to using a dedicated DAC because it can impart a more "musical" or "pleasing" sound to your speakers. Some speakers can sound "bright" so they match it with a "warm" sounding DAC to balance out the sound so it is pleasing to their ears.

However this is all subjective stuff and it can be hard to identify if you really hear a noticeable improvement or it is just your mind playing games on your hearing. The only way to know is if you try and listen for yourself.
  • Quick question: do you really need a DAC for your pc even if I don't hear any crackling/jitter sound even if I crank up the volume?
    My speakers are AudioEngine A5+ which connect to the motherboard Asus Z97-A. Btw, I don't have plans on using a headphone.

Will I hear a sonic difference if I put one even to an untrained ears?

Depende sa iyo sir. Kung hindi ka critical listener, malamang wala kang mapapansin or hindi mo papansinin kung ano man ang pinagkaiba nila.
    Nung isang araw lang binigyan ko ng urbanears platten yung anak kong 12YO, ang ginagamit nya usually eh yung Sennheiser PX-88. Sa akin dinig ko yung pinagkaiba ng sound signature nung dalawa, pero sabi ng anak ko pareho lang daw :D
  • Good Evening sir..need advice. I have a TV that has analog audio and 3.5 aux. I wanted to connect it to my
    Soundbar that has Digital, Aux and USB input. I tried using the T.V. Aux to SoundBar Aux but the sound is not good while watching movies Via External Drive. Is there a way that i can use Tv Analog or Aux and run it through a DAC then optical cable to Soundbar. Does it give a better sound to it.
  • Use a receiver then play your external hard drive from there.
  • From a practical standpoint, para sa akin worth it bumili ng external DAC especially kung gagamit ka ng expensive speakers like the AudioEngine A5+ or use expensive headphones. Gusto ko din kasi i-maintain yung quality ng audio signal all throughout the chain and also to get peace of mind na I'm listening to the AudioEngine A5+ speakers at it's best :-)

Yung external DAC parang external USB soundcard siya for music so pwede mo naman ilipat from PC to laptop to a smartphone or tablet etc. So it's versatile and you do get consistent sound despite changing audio sources. Masakit din bumili ng high-end motherboard with nice built-in audio chip then hindi mo na magagamit ulit yung audio chip niya once you change motherboards. At least yung external DAC stays with you always despite changing devices.

I think available narin mga DAC with Bluetooth capability so imagine... plug mo siya sa AudioEngine A5+ and it becomes a high quality bluetooth speaker :-)
  • Any recommended DAC brands? Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Multibit or AudioEngine D1?
    Or any suggestions for a budget around $200
  • ^
    From the choices you mentioned, definitely Schiit Modi 2 Uber or Schiit Modi 2 Multi-bit. If you are willing to experiment with "China-Fi" brands here are some good bang-for-buck desktop style DAC's:

$250 - S.M.S.L M8 (oldie but goodie)
    $280 - S.M.S.L Sanskrit Pro-B (similar to Schiit Modi 2 Uber but with updated USB chip and Bluetooth capability)
    $350 - S.M.S.L T1 (Tube buffer for that smooth analog LP sound)

Quoted prices are online prices, but if you can find a local seller they are usually cheaper. I'm personally using the SMSL M8 and pairing it now with Edifier R2000DB bookshelf speakers. I bought it for Php 10K last May 2015.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Feb 02 2017, 11:45 AM
  • I'm just wondering if there's a sonic difference because I'm only listening to 320kbps bitrate not FLAC's or the likes. Baka kasi masayang lang gastos kung wala palang difference knowing na di naman lossless audio ung source ko.
  • ^ Nonsense. 320Kbps = 16-bit 44.1KHz lossless flac even with mid-fi to summit-fi audio gears. Lahat ng audio source ay improved ng DAC/preamp. I 95% listen to Spotify 320kbps with the Bifrost Multibit -> Saga (5692 tubes) preamp -> Yamaha HS7 speakers.
  • @majingotan
    That's good to know. Where did you get your Bifrost Multibit? Any recommended shops that sells Schiit Audio around QC?

Is it true that you have to balance warm speakers to a bright dac/amp and vice versa?

-- edited by RuYz on Feb 02 2017, 02:53 PM
  • I'm just wondering if there's a sonic difference because I'm only listening to 320kbps bitrate not FLAC's or the likes. Baka kasi masayang lang gastos kung wala palang difference knowing na di naman lossless audio ung source ko.

There will be a difference no doubt and I'm sure you will hear the difference given enough time. But it's hard to say if you feel it is worth spending USD $200 for that change in audio quality.

The problem with buying new audio gear is that you really have to hear it in person before you can say it is worth buying. The more you spend the less you get in sound improvement due to diminishing returns. At some point you have to ask yourself is it really worth spending X amount money for this Y increase in sound quality? That's why many who spend a lot on their audio gear will not spend a peso for an upgrade unless they get the chance to listen to it first and have it vetted by other people as well :-)

Anyway based on my experience, I once listened to the onboard audio of my brother's computer. It was an MSI B150M Night Elf motherboard with the latest Realtek ALC1150 chipset. Plugging in Edifier speakers directly to the motherboard was OK and it sounded clean and clear. But when I tried plugging in a headphone amplifier and headphones... the difference in sound was really noticeable. The audio sounded thin and a bit harsh especially when listening to vocals. It's like the sound became bland and lifeless and it was hard to get into the groove of a song. I said to myself that listening with the SMSL DAC was a much better experience and although expensive, it was worth buying. But my brother who was listening to the audio of his PC for the first time was very happy and to him it sounded awesome :-P

If you can borrow a high-end DAP or a smartphone with a high quality DAC, try listening to your speakers with that device. Just so you can get an idea of how much improvement you will get in sound quality if you buy a dedicated DAC. If nobody will lend you their DAP / Smartphone then you have to take a gamble and do a blind purchase. If you don't like the sound or you feel it was not worth the cost, then just sell the DAC and try to get most of your money back.

I don't think you can improve the sound of the AudioEngine A5+ speakers any further because the amplifier is integrated to the speaker. The only option is to improve the quality of your audio source by getting a DAC.

The other option is to sell your speakers, and buy a better sounding pair. You can get passive bookshelf speakers from Anthony Audio, pair them with a small amplifier, then add a decent quality DAC to that setup. I'm sure the sound improvement will be a lot greater than just adding a DAC to the AudioEngine A5+ bookshelf speakers.
  • Tingin nyo gagana to mga sir I have a Wd Tv Live Hub
    connect HDMI going to TV and have optical out from my WD TV going to sound bar. Will that provide better audio than using 3.5 jack. I will plug my External HDD on my WD Tv.
  • @majingotan
    That's good to know. Where did you get your Bifrost Multibit? Any recommended shops that sells Schiit Audio around QC?

Is it true that you have to balance warm speakers to a bright dac/amp and vice versa?

-- edited by RuYz on Feb 02 2017, 02:53 PM

Ordered Schiit Direct through Paypal, ship to JAC in NY then pick up.

Not true in my experience. It's the amp that you need to balance with the speakers not the DAC. Before I was using the Asgard 2 which sounded a bit bright with the Yamaha HS7, when Saga was released, I switched to it and the sound became neutral flat especially with the 5692 tubes.

-- edited by majingotan on Feb 03 2017, 10:15 AM
  • Ano po ang the best "bank for the buck" 2.0 speakers at around 2k?
  • ^
    Try to look for Edifier R1280T for below Php 2.5K if may available stocks pa :-)