Forum Topic

TPC Linux Thread | Queries | Answers | Whatnot

• @ryanrudolf
    Gagamit ka lang ng slack if trip mo i-manual lahat pag-install at pag maintain ng package mo. yung senior sysad namin slacks/gentoo parin gamit kasi system architect at lagi nya kailangan i-configure cflags ng mga libraries na ginagamit namin sa work.

Kung ako use fedora napaka-comfy gamitin.
  • rpm = dpkg
    apt-get/aptitude = yum/dnf

apt-get is not rpm equivalent, use yum/dnf this will automatically resolve dependency problem
    dpkg is the equivalent to rpm of which the apt-get/aptitude is using

and dont expect to RHEL/CentOS/Fedora na may mga kasamang 3rd party non-opensource/non-free software, get it in the other provider such as rpmfusion, elrepo etc
  • pdtrx Send Message View User Items on 25 Dec 16 @ 10:03 PM #
    Now a RHCSA hihi. Perfected the exam 300/300 :)

Just passed RHCE! 270/300
  • ^ congrats!
  • Meron na ba dito nakagamit ng Manjaro ? Based on Arch Linux pero newbie-friendly
  • @pdtrx
    OT lang ba exams nila? balak ko sana mag take ng RHCSA muna after ko tapusin unix track ko.
  • still struggling on my Linux+ huhuhu
  • Ayaw mag-install ng Manjaro KDE USB installer :(

Ok naman yung ISO file based on sha256 checksum. Mukhang ok yung Linux distro. May GUI daw for changing kernels
  • Ebvjr on 13 Apr 17 @ 06:39 PM #
    @pdtrx
    OT lang ba exams nila? balak ko sana mag take ng RHCSA muna after ko tapusin unix track ko.

What do you mean by OT paps? Sisiw lang siguro RHCSA sayo kung matagal ka ng unix admin :)

bintsmok on 13 Apr 17 @ 07:20 PM #
    Ayaw mag-install ng Manjaro KDE USB installer :(

Ok naman yung ISO file based on sha256 checksum. Mukhang ok yung Linux distro. May GUI daw for changing kernels

Try disabling secure boot tska install mo under as standard MBR not UEFI.

-- edited by pdtrx on Apr 13 2017, 07:54 PM
  • @pdtrx
    Old testament paps (mga ibang tanong nasa old exams) hahahaha on-track (parang specialization course) palang po saka nakakagamit lang ako ng RHEL sa EC2 server na pinapahandle saakin hahahaha almost wala silang difference ng AMI ng Amazon kaya nagbabakasali lang after ng course rekta certification na hahahaha.
  • Ebvjr on 13 Apr 17 @ 08:04 PM #
    @pdtrx
    Old testament paps (mga ibang tanong nasa old exams) hahahaha on-track (parang specialization course) palang po saka nakakagamit lang ako ng RHEL sa EC2 server na pinapahandle saakin hahahaha almost wala silang difference ng AMI ng Amazon kaya nagbabakasali lang after ng course rekta certification na hahahaha.

Basic commands lang naman ang RHCSA like copy, move, rename etc. sa RHCE ka lang papasetup ng mga server/client. Pero mag review ka parin lol baka yung basic dun eh di pala basic sayo XD

Ang tip ko lang, wag mag assume. Read properly. Kung ano nkalagay/hinahanap yun lang gagawin =)
  • ^ recommended ba linux+ then rhcsa or diretso na rhcsa?

the only reaskn bat ako nagpeprepare sa Linux+ kasi wala expiry yung cert na yun
  • May nakapag play na po ba dito ng league of legends ph sa ubuntu 16.04.?
    di po working sa wine 2.5

SAlamat
  • ryanrudolf on 13 Apr 17 @ 10:58 PM #
    ^ recommended ba linux+ then rhcsa or diretso na rhcsa?

the only reaskn bat ako nagpeprepare sa Linux+ kasi wala expiry yung cert na yun

Kung personal, marami factors eh. Depends on your goal and purpose. Linux+/LPIC-1 and RHCSA are on the same level by certification standards pero magkaiba ng testing format. Also consider vendor specific ang RHCSA.

Pero common sa mga Linux+/LPIC-1 ang nagttake ng RHCSA usually pinapasponsor sa company.

Since more of a Debian guy ka, I think Linux+ would suit you more lalo kung yan gamit sa work mo. Other option kung gusto mo hands-on exam pero based on apt and deb package manager then there is LFCS from Linux Foundation. Eto dapat kukunin ko before kasi mas economical, may free retake at online lang pwede exam sa bahay.

Ako personally mas nahihirapan ako sa multiple choice na exam haha. Mas ok ako pag sa terminal, kailangan ko lang man pages at --help tapos grep.
  • ^ nice to know. thank you sa feedback.
  • AMD Ryzen 1800X / Geforce 1080 - Do they work on Linux? <click here for link>

• Anyone tried TLP sa laptop? Just installed it on my old laptop. Does it really work? Based sa quick search default settings is already optimized for power.
  • ^ i use it on my debianized thinkpad, TLP works and improves the battery life. you can also see cycle counts ng battery and set battery threshold levels
  • About Linux games being delayed: A chat with several game developers and porters
    <click here for link>

Why do you think Linux games get delayed?

Answer 1: Often times, for me at least, I get brought onto a project that has already shipped for Windows, made by a team with dozens of developers over several years. Almost always, I'm showing up for the race after it's already been run.

Answer 2: All other platforms have better total sales. There is no grantee that a game is successful and timing is everything. To hit release windows things have to get cut. If the developer has to chose to cut a game feature OR the Linux port, the Linux port will always be cut/delayed. Almost all of my ports are for games that have been proven successful and can afford to release a Linux version.

Answer 3: Two things. Firstly, I think lack of awareness is a factor. Some developers don't know about Linux, and so don't really plan for it. It's assumed to be a minuscule job and put off again and again until it is only considered approaching beta. That's when it's properly accessed and the time put aside for it breaches past the release date.

Secondly the financial aspect. If a Linux release will give a developer 2-5% more sales, they might put it off. Sometimes indefinitely. In pure business terms an extra round of localisations might be more fruitful for many titles (such as reworking aspects of a game for the Chinese market).

Answer 4: Personally, I feel the number one cause of delayed game releases or game ports are hurdles or priority changes that couldn't have been foreseen when previous timeframes were settled on.

What do developers need to do to ensure a timely Linux release?

Answer 1: The rare times where I shipped at the same time as the Windows version, it was because I was working with the team before they shipped, and was making portability changes in the same codebase everyone else was working out of.

- Don't make a game that depends on Direct3D. All the hard hard work is getting the thing to run with OpenGL.

- If you're building something big and complex, use Unity or Unreal Engine 4 so most of the heavy lifting is already done, and the Linux guy is mostly fixing and polishing instead of rewriting large pieces of complex code. If you wrote your own engine for a AAA-level game, expect a port of it to take 6 to 12 months. If this is a small indie game, this advice isn't so important.

Answer 2: Plan for the port realistically. Be able to easily develop Linux ports on Windows. Almost all other target platforms for games can be developed and deployed from a windows dev machine. The less friction involved with compiling a Linux executable the more likely there is a day one Linux release. We see hard examples of this from engines that have a Linux export target (Unity, Gamemaker, etc.). Even then there is always some amount of extra effort and without the fiscal motivation (large game sale potential) Linux ports will rank lower in priority.

Answer 3: A platform agnostic engine and a game that runs cleanly within the engine. It's really a no-brainer for most devs, since having multiple compilers building the same code is a good way to find some of the insidious low level bugs that make it past Visual Studio or Xcode.

Answer 4: Assuming that timely means "relative to other platforms", then the most effective way that I can think of is to develop games on Linux. In some ways, you can consider compatibility with your development/primary testing environment to be gained "for free".

Treat Linux as a first class platform and include Linux builds in automated and manual testing throughout development. Platform specific code gets identified quickly, and even if it's not addressed right away, where it is and what implications it has are known and can be taken into consideration before making other functionality dependent on that.

What is so difficult about bringing games to Linux?

Answer 1: The first 90% of the work is getting it to compile at all. The next 90% of the work is rewriting the renderer.

Answer 2: Actually developing/testing on target Linux distributions. Debugging tools are foreign and primitive compared to what Windows/Mac developers are used to. Many game developers are not even super users so getting around on a Linux distro can be a challenge to the average developer. Even translating what a Linux player has in a bug report they send to a developer can be a challenge. Developers don't use Linux regularly (on average) so players are more informed of problems/solutions then them. This is not the case on other platforms for the most part.

Answer 3: On the porting front, many developers are still sitting on engines that have not progressed much beyond DirectX 9. Modern graphics programming has closed the gaps between the graphics pipelines, the older the pipeline the more time consuming a port will be.

There's also a surprising lack of people with Linux in their skill sets in the game development pipeline. Programmers who will work (well) on Linux are nowhere near as common as those comfortable on Windows and OSX.

It's even worse when it comes to testing, as you need quite technically adept QA to be able to work on many different Linux setups. This specifically has been particular trouble for my own development efforts.

Answer 4: When approaching something new, it's often easy to feel that problems are more difficult than they would be if they were in a more familiar environment. Less experienced developers pursuing Linux support have an additional psychological hurdle to cross (that's not to say that problems are trivial, just that it's harder to objectively assess them without experience and context).

Similarly, unfamiliar tools can be significant hurdles for people. For those not used to working with the debuggers available on Linux, embracing them can be an insurmountable challenge. Sometimes different tools require different workflows, and that too, is more disruption than some developers are willing to put up with. For some, new tools or alternative interfaces might help make working on Linux a little more accessible.

Third party Linux porters often have to deal with decisions made by upstream developers that were not made in the best interests of Linux builds. Many games are developed before Linux support is on the roadmap - for example, when working on Day of the Tentacle Remastered in 2016, I had to deal with the consequences of the original game having case consistency in include statements was important. There was no possible way for the SCUMM engine developers in the 80s to foresee that that would be a problem, but it increased the work I had to do regardless.
  • System76 to design and manufacture their desktop PCs in-house <click here for link>
  • Question:

1. Difference of /etc/bash.bashrc vs /etc/environment?
    2. Bakit yung iba pag mag restart ng service ang gamit is ganito?
    - service apache2 restart
    - systemctl restart apache2
    - /etc/init.d restart
  • ^ since im reviewing for Linux+, i'll try to answer without googling -

- upstart
    - systemd
    - init
  • @ryan

Hi, thanks for the reply. Hmm sorry if I may request can you please explain? Nalilito na kasi ako haha
  • Good day to all,

ask lang po if what version ng linux ang hindi madaling ma corrupt?

kasi sa work meron mga pc na naka ubuntu 10, kaso pag hindi na proper shutdown lagi corrupt os

TIA!
  • - service apache2 restart -> upstart for older ubuntu
    - systemctl restart apache2 -> systemd for redhat, fedora, newer ubuntu
    - /etc/init.d restart -> init system I think for slackware etc

for your first question
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/150789/difference-between-bash-bashrc-and-etc-environment-file
  • Good day to all,

ask lang po if what version ng linux ang hindi madaling ma corrupt?

kasi sa work meron mga pc na naka ubuntu 10, kaso pag hindi na proper shutdown lagi corrupt os

TIA!

Meron ng Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS at Ubuntu 17.04. Kung ayaw mo ng Unity desktop environment, use Ubuntu MATE.

Bakit sobrang luma ng gamit mo?

-- edited by bintsmok on Apr 25 2017, 01:57 PM
  • ^ kung ayaw ng unity madaming choices - ubuntu mate, ubuntu gnome, xubuntu, kubuntu etc I personally prefer yun mga gnome based desktops

malamang wala pang nag rereinstall sa kanila. madali lang naman iyon. Ano ba yung company niyo? @jordanmichael
  • jordanmichael on 25 Apr 17 @ 01:25 PM #

Then shutdown properly? Lol. I think this should fall under IT policy and good practices kung work environment and not an Ubuntu/Linux issue. Pwede rin naman mangyari sa Windows yan. It happens because running apps/programs are not terminated properly lalo if may proprietary software yan that needs proper termination para mag start ulit ng maayos.
  • if improper shutdown , it should run fsck automatic, right?

i had several instances ng improper shutdown pero dehins nacorrupt buong OS. as old as debian lenny dehins ko na encounter corrupt os due to.improper shutdown.

try to check din baka may pending hardware problem
  • Looking for recommendations for a PAID cloud storage. Right now leaning towards Dropbox dahil may client sa Linux.